La Riojan potatoes, an essential traditional recipe
We like recipes with potatoes, as soon as Autumn arrives with the first rains, at home we love to eat potatoes a la Rioja: a very traditional spoon dish that, as its name indicates, originates from La Rioja, although its crafting has spread throughout the country.
Potatoes a la Riojana is a humble stew that is made with very few ingredients, simple and inexpensive products such as potatoes, chorizo or chorizo, which you surely have at home. Like any traditional recipe, there are variants in each family; Today we leave you our family recipe, tell us yours in the comments!
Very simple to prepare, it is prepared in half an hour. And for those of you who have Thermomix, we will also leave you the recipe for potatoes a la Riojana in Thermomix. You have to eat them freshly made, very hot, we assure you that it is one of those spoon dishes that comfort and taste like glory. Do you want to see how we prepare La Rioja Potatoes at home?
INDEX OF CONTENTS
Potato a la Riojana recipe | How to make potatoes a la Riojana | Tips for making the best Riojan potatoes
POTATOES A LA RIOJANA RECIPE
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 1 and ½ kg of potatoes
- 1 chorizo per person
- 2 onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons of chorizo pepper meat
- 1 bay leaf
- Extra virgin olive oil
HOW TO MAKE POTATOES A LA RIOJANA
La Riojan potatoes recipe
• Peel the onion and cut into julienne strips, peel the garlic cloves and fillet them. we put both in the perola (metal saucepan) with a little extra virgin olive oil and let them cook over low heat.
• When they begin to brown, add the chorizo cut into slices and without skin. We fry them.
• Add the potatoes, which we have peeled, washed and cut into pieces by clicking them. • Add the potatoes, which we have peeled, washed and cut into pieces by clicking them.
• We also add a little salt, a bay leaf and the chorizo pepper meat. Mix and cook the potatoes for a couple of minutes.
• Cover with water and cook for about 30 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
Now we only have to serve!
Also try the Riojan cod
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST RIOJAN POTATOES
• It is important to click the potatoes (cut them «tearing» pieces with the knife) so that they release the starch and thicken the sauce.
• For our Latin American friends: chorizo is a kind of chili or red pepper that is somewhat sweet.
• You can add a tip of cayenne to taste if you like spicy, or a chilli.
• The onion must be well anchored, that is, well cooked but not browned.
• Do not exaggerate stirring with the spoon, so that the potatoes do not break. You can move the whole casserole by turning it so that the flavors mix.
• So that the broth is well locked, you take out some pieces of potato, crush them with a fork and put them back in the pot.
• And now, enjoy these delicious potatoes a la Riojana!